Web Payments Community Group Telecon

Minutes for 2015-01-13

Agenda
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2015Jan/0007.html
Topics
  1. Web Payments IG Update
  2. Credentials CG Update
  3. Upcoming Events
  4. Coordination and priority on work items
Chair
Manu Sporny
Scribe
Dave Longley
Present
Dave Longley, Timothy Holborn, Manu Sporny, David I. Lehn
Audio Log
Dave Longley is scribing.
Manu Sporny: Most of these calls will be reviews because there's so much happening in the Web Payments IG (which has 3 calls) it's hard to keep up.
Manu Sporny: It's a flurry of activity to try and get ready for the f2f that's happening next month. So we'll go through the things happening around payments and credentials.
Manu Sporny: It's good that we're so busy.

Topic: Web Payments IG Update

Manu Sporny: The IG is having 3 weekly calls. We have a call on Tuesday 9am ET, that is the "all hands" web payments IG meeting, one at Thursday 12pm ET, which is a use cases task for meeting and a call on Friday 9:30am ET which is a payment agent task force meeting.
Manu Sporny: Meeting minutes for Web Payments IG: https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Main_Page#Recent_Meetings
Manu Sporny: Upcoming Web Payments IG meetings: https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Main_Page#Upcoming_Meetings
Manu Sporny: The meetings are going well, people from Bloomberg, [missed] all providing really good input. It's good and we're making rapid progress.
Manu Sporny: Here's the use cases wiki for the Web Payments IG: https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Use_Cases_Task_Force#Status
Manu Sporny: The Web Payments CG, this group, worked on a set of use cases that we got from the Web Payments workshop from last year. Those use cases are now integrated into the Web Payments IG wiki, which is what we wanted. All these groups have their ability to say what they wanted about the use cases and they are now getting integrated into an official document (FPWD).
Manu Sporny: The use cases get hashed out in the wiki and once the group feels that they are ready to get into the FPWD.
Manu Sporny: Here's a link to the pre-FPWD Web Payments IG Use Cases document: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/use-cases/index.html
Manu Sporny: So these use cases have been vetted by multiple groups and are not getting, over time, into the FPWD.
Manu Sporny: The FPWD won't have all of the use cases, it will have just the ones that we've found to be the highest priority. We have so much input in just the use cases document, literally hundreds of use cases, areas from X9, US Fed, [missed], there's an immense amount of material to go through and boil down, the group is working on that.
Manu Sporny: Any questions on use cases before we move on?
None
Manu Sporny: Next group is the Payment Agent Task Force
Manu Sporny: A Payment Agent is effectively a software program like a User Agent is a browser, for example. A Payment Agent does payment transactions, etc. We're looking at how to express everything that this Payment Agent does.
Manu Sporny: Here's one view of payment flows for the payment agent: https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Payment_Agent_Task_Force#Flows_and_Protocols
Manu Sporny: We're also exploring a transaction-phase based approach to explain details about the payment agent: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments-ig/2015Jan/0006.html
Manu Sporny: We haven't quite figured out what we're going to do with the Payment Agent document but things are coming together. We're discussing how to best tell the story about what the Payment Agent does. We're going to break apart the technology stack to figure out how to make these things happen.
Manu Sporny: All of this work is being done as a precursor to the third f2f meeting for the payments work, which will happen in Rabobank headquarters in Utrecht, Netherlands on Feb 2-4.
Manu Sporny: We're going to talk about everything we typically talk about in these web payments things: security, digital receipts, transactions, and credentials.
Manu Sporny: If there's nothing else on the Web Payments IG update, we'll jump to the Credentials CG update.
Manu Sporny: Any questions?
None

Topic: Credentials CG Update

Manu Sporny: The Credentials CG is moving along pretty well. Unfortunately, I don't think the roadmap document is public just yet but I'll provide the link to it [as it will open up].
David I. Lehn: (It's not public)
Manu Sporny: We feel that we have the use cases that we want done so we want the web payments IG to integrate those credentials use cases; many of them are shared problems with multiple different industry verticals included overlap with web payments (eg: KYC, high stakes, etc.)
Manu Sporny: The Badge Alliance is doing work on a vocabulary to be used with JSON-LD for credentials.
Manu Sporny: Here's a link to the specification for the JSON-LD credentials/badges vocabualry: http://openbadges.github.io/openbadges-specification/
Manu Sporny: A different group is working on that, and we've got Dave Longley primarily working on the spec for RDF Dataset Normalization.
Manu Sporny: Here's the link to the dataset normalization work that Dave Longley is leading: http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/rdf-dataset-normalization/
Manu Sporny: We also have some stuff going on with Linked Data Signatures that we hope to get out sooner rather than later.
Manu Sporny: We're talking with W3C for trying to create groups for where this stuff will best fit. That discussion is ongoing.
Manu Sporny: That's basically the update for the credentials group.
Manu Sporny: We have a lot of participation in the Credentials CG and not necessarily in the Web Payments CG. The problem for the Web Payments CG is that we have multiple groups that have picked up the Web Payments CG work and are going forward with it, leaving the Web Payments CG not with too many documents to work on. We do have the Web Commerce Spec and Web Commerce API that need to be worked on, otherwise the Web Payments IG and Credentials CG have picked up the work. That's not a bad thing, it's just somewhat of a concern because we spent a lot of time building a community where people are ready to contribute but as soon as they are ready we have shifted a lot of the work to other groups.

Topic: Upcoming Events

Manu Sporny: 3Rd official Web Payments IG Face-to-face
Manu Sporny: Feb 2nd-4th 2015, At Rabobank HQ in Utrecht, Netherlands
Manu Sporny: We are trying to bring in Invited Experts, people should think about attending.
Manu Sporny: That's one way you could participate in the official work.
Manu Sporny: The other near-term event is NACHA - Payments 2015
Manu Sporny: April 19th-22nd 2015, New Orleans
Manu Sporny: The Web Payments work at W3C will be presenting there.
Manu Sporny: There are a number of other events that are up in the air, in the April/June time frame and we'll announce once the details are sorted out.
Manu Sporny: We'll be talking at some fairly large events with big industry players so that's great news.
Manu Sporny: So that's it for the upcoming events, anyone else know of any that are coming up that we're participating in?

Topic: Coordination and priority on work items

Manu Sporny: I think on the docket for this year ... our high priority items are getting: RDF Dataset Normalization spec done, finalizing HTTP signatures and getting that out there, trying to a home for the Linked Data Signatures spec (used to be Secure Messaging spec and we're splitting that into two specs and rebranding).
Manu Sporny: The credentials group is going to be pushing some of that work forward along with the Identity Credentials spec.
Manu Sporny: The other specs that this group cares about are the Web Commerce spec, the Web Payments spec, and the Web Commerce API.
Manu Sporny: Along with their associated vocabularies.
Manu Sporny: I think that's it, that's what we want to get done for version 1.0 of this system.
Manu Sporny: It looks like the Web Payments IG is headed in the same direction as the Web Payments CG, so it looks like the CG did a good job. If they IG continues down that path they'll likely end up at the Web Commerce/Web Commerce API specs and we'll hopefully have that more baked when we get there.
Dave Longley: Generally in agreement with those specs. [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Dave Longley: We have a few other specs on the site - payment intents, price indexing, that we think are not a part of 1.0. Maybe we can extend to those specs in the future, make them a part of a later version. [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Manu Sporny: The other thing to consider is WebDHT/kademlia type solution.
Manu Sporny: The other thing that's a big question mark is the WebDHT work... we need a Telehash-lite mechanism for the Web. Decentralized hashtable. [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Manu Sporny: It's not new technology, we just have to build a look up mechanism over HTTP.
Manu Sporny: Maybe it will be built over WebSockets or something if that's not possible.
Manu Sporny: Any other business to discuss?
Manu Sporny: I think we won't meet for another month, we'll meet post Utrecht f2f to talk about what was discussed there.
I think things look to be progressing well... Critical path produced by the Payments CG, appear to have been shipped to other groups. I think that's a good outcome overall...
Manu Sporny: Myself, Dave Longley, and Dave Lehn are super tied up getting spec work, etc. done so there's not a lot of free time/time to meet. If there are no objections we'll meet next month, 2nd week of Feb to do a status update.
Manu Sporny: The critical path has been farmed out to multiple different groups, which is a good outcome, so more people are looking at each individual piece.
Manu Sporny: We have 10-14/6-15 people involved in the different groups Credentials CG/Web Payments IG looking at this stuff now.
Manu Sporny: Which is good.
Manu Sporny: So I think we'll just keep updates coming in these meetings.
David I. Lehn: The stuff on the IG website, it's all locked down, is there a way for it to be more open so the CG people can get better access?
David I. Lehn: The wiki pages, etc. some of them are locked.
Manu Sporny: The newest ones are locked, the old ones shouldn't be -- once the minutes are approved they should be unlocked.
Manu Sporny: Are you talking about the lock icon next to it?
David I. Lehn: Yeah, it says authorization required for some of them.
Manu Sporny: The lock icon just means it's an HTTPS link I think.
David I. Lehn: Some pages go to other pages that require authorization.
Manu Sporny: Unfortunately they are sending agendas out to the members only mailing list instead of the public mailing list and maybe we can ask the IG to send that kind of info to the public.
David I. Lehn: More people could follow along later if they have that information.
Manu Sporny: I'll try to bring it up and make it so we're a little more open with agendas and other things we can be.
Manu Sporny: Any other comments?
None
Manu Sporny: Ok, so we'll meet next month, second week of Feb.

Created by the Web Payments Community Group. Shared with love under a CC-BY license. Thanks to our contributors.